Flame-X

Show off your Rig

That's fucking awesome dude! I'm probably future proof for at least another two or three years before my setup starts lagging behind on performance... I still kinda want to upgrade though xD tbh what I really need to do is get on the SSD train.

btw what's your secret to dust? I've noticed your case is pretty dust free... I on the other hand have dust out the ass all over my case, almost to the point where I'm contemplating taking everything out and doing a thorough dusting of all my hardware and then reassembling.

Ah yes, SSD will change your PC habits for good. 256 gig should be plenty for your needs and its fairly affordable now.

I've only had this new case for nearly a month now so dust hasn't been accumulating inside....yet. I think what really helped is the closed ventilation on all sides except the back. Because of that, it does sacrifice some of the airflow and cooling. I also have a dust filter under the case which came with it. Since my PSU is 80+ platinum, it has a hybrid fan feature where it only spins when its over 90% load.

Wow this GPU is incredible. 32 degrees C on idle with only 30% fan speed, goes up to 55 degrees under load with 50% fan speed. That's some amazing efficiency.

Looking sick, Flame! The 780Ti has to fucking kill.

I think I am due for an upgrade some time in the near future too. I just started working at a web design company that also does computer repair, so I am hoping that I might be able to get some part for cheap XD.

Right now I know I would transfer over to my new build:

2x8gb Corsair 1866 RAM

2x2gb Corsair RAM (don't remember the speed lol)

Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus PSU

Corsair H60 CPU cooler (maybe might upgrade this if I could swing the extra $$)

HP 24" Monitor (I don't see myself ever getting rid of this thing until 4K becomes a normal thing)

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Logitech G700 Mouse

That leaves me with a Case, Mobo, GPU, and Processor to buy...too bad all that stuff adds up reaaaal fast lol. 

I think I would try to transfer over some of my old gear in to a smaller build that I could either as a media center or a NAS.

Thanks! This is my benchmark from last night. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3041122

I don't see much of a point to upgrade your cpu cooler unless if you're an overclocking enthusiast. I'm sticking with my stock cooler since I have no plans to overclock, plus it sucks up more power leaving me an increase on my electricity bill lol. When you decide to buy a CPU, get it from Microcenter. They're much cheaper than Newegg and Amazon. They'll even price online match depending on the store. I paid about $100 less than Newegg's price for my i7 4700k. If there's one near your area, go to their site for pick up order or give them a call to negotiate pricing.

On a general advice for anyone buying hard drives, try to avoid buying them online. Reason for that is shipping damage. When these fragile things are shipped individually, they'll get thrown around like football. I know this because I've worked at both UPS and Fedex few years back. Chances of receiving a DOA is a 50/50. Yes, you can argue manufacturers ships their goods to retailers but the big difference is, they ship in batches, meaning a fork lift is required. So its best to buy your hard drives from local retailers since working success rates and reliability is much higher. When you read hard drive reviews from Newegg, almost half the response are DOA complaints, but in TigerDirect there's more satisfied customers in their reviews. It's a conclusion I came up with based on these observations and experience.

I don't really see myself upgrading storage anytime soon unless I decide to build a NAS box. I have 2x1tb drives, a 3tb drive, and 2x500gb externals. Pretty much the biggest thing would be getting a new SSD because my current one is 90gb and that is cutting it pretty tight in terms of space.

I decided it was time to get around to cleaning out my case and also I figure I would upgrade some stuff while I was at it ^_^

vfv4tkh.jpgEyEVAjXl.jpg

First of all I'm finally joining the wave of the future and bought me a SSD :D and I also decided to upgrade my old Phenom II X4 BE 3.4 GHZ CPU to a FX 9370 4.4 GHZ... I can't wait too because I hear this cpu fucking slays everything you throw at it, and admittedly while my phenom II did the job and was quite an affordable and reliable cpu I did start to notice it was bottle necking my gpu on some games so that's all in the past now :D

I will update with some pictures of my rig after i get done cleaning and installing the new stuff.

I also was thinking about getting a NAS Box soon... was thinking about this one for a while

Okay here we go

2mpn9eb.jpg

33tgxaq.jpg

2je1fza.jpg

Man it's so clean now too, I was gonna do before and after pictures but I kinda forgot.... I'm kinda glad though because it was really nasty, there was so much dust caked on the hardware that I actually had to take it all apart and clean each individual piece and then clean out the case and put the entire system back together T.T but it was worth it because now it's spotless. 

I also did a clean install of windows on my new SSD and damn the boot time is so freaking fast XD

I don't have a rig (yet) but I have a question and I figure everyone in here can give me some insight.

I'm going to be building one very soon and I'm dead set on having two monitors. I only have 36 inches of desk space to work with. I'm thinking that if I angle the screens, I can get away with 2 19" screens. I'm also thinking that 2 19" screens may be too big and I'll have to step down to 17" or 15" if I want dual screens. In your opinions, what is more important: screen resolution and screen size or dual screens?

Depends what the rig is for, if it's for gaming you don't need the two screens to be the same size unless you're doing some eyefinity shit where it spans multiple monitors. Other wise for a normal gaming setup I would recommend at least a 22" LCD for the best experience. Now if it's not for gaming but for other stuff or for both you can always get two different sizes... it's not gonna matter unless you are going for a eyefinity setup. 

Basically if your gonna game on it make sure your main monitor is at least 20" otherwise it doesn't really matter, it's up to you. Screen resolution is more important than size, there's no real reason to go any bigger 24-26" on a desktop PC imo.

If your looking for a good and affordable LCD brand for gaming I recommend ASUS. 

Just curious what kind of build are you going for? Post it here and I can give you some pointers if you like.

It's half gaming half programming. Under the hood I'm going to have some serious hardware. I wanted two screens so I could multitask much more efficiently. Right now on my laptop it's a consistent pain to have to switch between applications constantly when I want to do more than one thing (ex. talk on Skype and program). With two screens, I can program on one and dedicate Skype to the other. The problem is desk space because I only have 36". Two 22" screens aren't going to fit on this desk no matter how hard I try, unless I seriously angle them and that might defeat the purpose of having two screens in the first place. So if the two screen dream doesn't work out right now I'm fine with having just one.

Like I said you can get two different sizes then, it's not gonna matter in the long run. I have two monitors both are different sizes, the only thing is if you're OCD it's probably gonna bother the shit out of you XD

as saku already mentioned, there really is no need for the extension monitor to be big at all, if the main purpose is multitask (and that is pretty much the biggest benefit) then the monitor with your skype/facebook/MH-BroChat can be fairly small, the main-monitor for gaming and movie greatness substantially bigger (24-27' or so).

also, as i already mentioned i the chat, maybe think a bit more vertically, to have a bit of room left if you should (and you should) decide on a pair of speakers.

here's my place for example

S6300043.jpg

I was going to ask you for a visual yesterday but now I have the pic. Now that I see it, vertical alignment of two screens is looking like the best option right now. My desk would be able to fit two screens on it if there wasn't an undetachable addition to the top. My desk resembles something like this.

B2-2-4-ECOSHELF-3.jpg

It's a little bigger than that though.

IF you can mount in to the wall, I would look into getting a wall mount. I assume that you can't though. I honestly wouldn't want vertical alignment, but that is just personal preference...but just a warning, if it's not IPS the vertical off axis angles tend to be pretty bad.

What I would do is get some cardboard and cut it out and see what sizes would work.

IF you can mount in to the wall, I would look into getting a wall mount. I assume that you can't though. I honestly wouldn't want vertical alignment, but that is just personal preference...but just a warning, if it's not IPS the vertical off axis angles tend to be pretty bad.

What I would do is get some cardboard and cut it out and see what sizes would work.

Can't get a wall mount. That's against apartment policy.

I'm not fond of vertical alignment either but I have to weigh whether I want dual screens, horizontal alignment, or small screen resolution. Something has to lose out here. I'm thinking about getting one screen to begin with, seeing how much room I have to work with, and then maybe shopping for a second screen when I have more information. Right now I have no idea how big I can get away with and how small of a screen I would need. My laptop has a 15" screen so I can use that as a starting point but I won't really know until I get a screen.

So I've decided on the pieces of my build (more or less). Going to start with buying this steal of a CPU. Unlocked Haswell for $199? That's beautiful!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.66 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($128.99 @ B&H)

Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($116.10 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: AZIO L70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($24.99 @ Micro Center)

Mouse: Logitech G300 Wired Optical Mouse ($23.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $1269.63

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 00:44 EDT-0400

I don't recommend going with that case. There's plenty of better ones for less than $120. My case is the Fractal Design Define R4 which cost me $100 and it packs plenty of features. Also, get at least a 500 watt PSU since you're going with an AMD gpu. AMD is good stuff but they're notorious for their power consumption. As for RAM, I suggest going with Corsair, Kingston, or Gskill brand. While that i5 is a great processor, do you plan to overclock it? If not, then buy the non K version, it would also make that aftermarket cpu cooler pointless.

As I said earlier, I picked that case because of space requirements. I wanted the R4 but it's not going to fit in the space I have in the desk. I looked through about ~20 cases until I found one that fit, could house the motherboard and the GPU and still fit an aftermarket cooler inside. I'm open to going with a cheaper case if it's smaller than 19 inches tall and 11 inches wide.

I do plan to overclock but I will step up to a beefier PSU.

Yeah pretty much everything Flame pointed out is on point. If your going to OC then depending on high your trying to push it I would definitely go with a water cooler for the cpu instead of a heatsink.

EDIT: Also don't forget to buy fans for that case if it don't come with them, the most important part of a gaming rig is airflow and because you're getting a relatively small case it's gonna be pretty cramped so you definitely want to make sure it has the best airflow possible.