Peace Heavy mk II

-THE- Song

Yeah, I thought about that one as well...and maybe it is their "song," but something about Ouka seems to work better as their "song" a bit better than Nightship D. I could be way off base here, though.

I always thought of "Serafine" when I thought of DEAD END, not sure why. With BUCK-TICK "Jupiter" comes to mind, or "ROMANCE" perhaps. As with LUNA SEA "Rosier" and Alice Nine gives me "RAINBOWS".

D I would probably also go with Ouka for some reason, considering it had a PV at the time when Night Ship D had not.

Phantasmagoria's 神歌 (Kami Uta) is —despite Kisaki once having stated he absolutely didn't want it to become their anthem song, preferably had he chosen 未完成とギルト or Material Pain— their anthem song, or so I think so. It's most definitely way down on my list of favourites or not included in that list at all. Personally I hold a grudge against tracks with a continuous theme of lyrics or riffs that go on endlessly and endlessly and that is exactly what 神歌 is especially when it was performed during a live for a duration of at least fifteen minutes straight. There's hardly any variety and at some point I just grew tired of Riku's squealing here. 

The only thing I basically like about the track is the overuse of synthesizers (Kisaki trademark, one of his best points, in my opinion, no matter what other people say about it) as it gives it a little more depth. Guitars are messy, lots of pinches/squeals, just— no.

I always thought Kami no Uta was boring, but in interviews they did say it became kind of their trademark song with "Diamond Dust" trying to be their happy trademark song (had they released it during their first time span of activities).

Erm does D even play Ouka that much live? Not mention that it's such a staple for them to be considered an anthem ( I honestly don't know, but based on general impression it's a song that was once made and that's it ). I guess for D what would be the closest thing would be that Acapella song or like was previously mentioned, Night Ship D

oh and if "Drink It Down" is considered Laruku's _THE_ song, then there's truly no hope for humanity. 

I bet Kami Uta is a really fun live song but agree that it's just so repetitive and boring. I would like to think perhaps Material Pain as THE SONG that put Phantasmagoria on the map but I don't even know mang.

As for D, I don't agree with Ouka being their trade mark song. Their Japanese themed songs seem to be one off things here and there, I can count Ouka, the one where they're like Triads or something and another one that's kinda boring and I forgot what it's called. Most of their stuff is all super fantasy driven and so I just don't think Ouka as THE SONG that defines D. When I think D, I definitely think it would have be either Sleeper or Yami Yori followed by perhaps Mayutsuki no Hitsugi, Nightship D, Vampire Missa and maybe Eden? I dunno man, I think D's success was just strong release after strong release and an accumulation of good songs that just put them on the map. 

Raphael I'm thinking Hana Saku Inochi Aru Kagiri is THE SONG that made them followed by all the other amazing stuff Kazuki did.

http://youtu.be/de25Zzeygvk

It's also seems like a good trasitional song from Yuki having stupid giant hair to not so stupid looking hair. But also I think this was their first major release? Did they ever go major? 

I like Phantasmagoria's Kami uta, but I think Mikansei to Guilt is a bit more representative of the band...

By the way, who is Kisaki representing in Kami uta PV? (himself as a god?)

As for D... I found the band in 2005/6 and for me their most representative song would be Sleeper.

When it comes to パニックちゃんねる or Panic☆ch I would say their THE SONG is Pink Cherry. Maybe because it was the first song I listened to by them and because is very catchy and Meguru's english is even funnier than mine xD

As for 摩天楼オペラ, I think Helios would be a darn pretty good choice to represent their technique and power and basically every element that they fuse into their tracks. That song's got everything and for me personally it was what really pushed me further in to liking them. I don't know much about their live-shows, unfortunately, what songs get their crowd going and seem really anthem-like. Perhaps ANOMIE is one of those but seeing as I took quite a long break between ANOMIE and Justice I have little idea of what else is in between there.

As for D... I think 闇より暗い慟哭のアカペラと薔薇より赤い情熱のアリア or Night—Ship D definitely stand a better chance than 桜花咲きそめにけり. They've played it live enough of times though but except for Asagi's kimono dancing and flower petals it doesn't truly stand for an anthem or something that makes them D. Night—Ship D is just really their live-show piece with the flags and whatsoever of which I know everyone is always looking forwards to in their setlist, whereas it isn't doing much for me on album (except the new version, it's much better produced than the old). 

I thought 摩天楼オペラ's most well received song was "Anomie" or "Abyss."

I remember when everyone got nutso over "Alkaloid Showcase" - or it's just me remembering these vk things wrong.

Also, in terms of Kuroyume a little fact-related detail below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmG1tonhS8

Okay, kotekote-enthusiasts and internet fame aside, THIS SONG RIGHT HERE is Kuroyume's most well-received and *overplayed* song for decades and so on. Also fun-fact: one of the standard "high school band" songs, yes.

(just ask Japanese people about that, the hell they know anything about FOOODIAAAA or "Romance of Scarlet" in general)

also, another successful, well-received one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmJWy79bp1g

(bluntly put, "punk" Kuroyume was much more well-received than AISMAIRAIF/FOODIAA/DESSUMASK-Kuroyume in general - ignore the whole "internet popularity" BS :) )

In terms of Luna Sea, I think "I For You" is THE song in their case too. Why? Most mainstream listeners apply the band to that drama OST snoozefest + how many people are still remembering it, lmao.

"DRINK IT DOWN as THE song" -claim is totally blatant, failed attempt at trolling, and a big insult to L'arc - enthusiast like me. But yeah, gotta only shrug - whatever floats your boat, mate!

^I agree!

At least this is what japanese people always associate when they find out I like Kuroyume and Luna Sea.

I think in terms of Kuroyume it really depends on if you're looking on fanbase or influence on other musicians - most of the prominent vk musicians of the late 90s were heavily inspired by EARLY Kuroyume, not the later stuff, And when you see visual kei musicians covering Kuroyume even to this day its generally these early songs they perform, so in terms of influence on the scene it's pretty safe to say the early stuff is where its at, but I guess in general popularity with the vast majority of people the later more radio friendly stuff is for obvious reasons more popular.

But for every 'phase' that kuroyume went through you can find a handful of bands copying it.

For their dark indies days it's obviously every gothy nagoya-band ever in existence.

For their first major album it's (early) dir en grey and every band that sounded like them.

For their feminism/pop phase it's bands like SID.

and so on.

Now I'm a little confused.

I thought this thread was about 'THE' song that 'defines' a band. Like the song they always play live, that makes the whole audience scream, that has a strong connection to the band concept, has tours named after it, carries a strong meaning for the fans etcetc.

You simply know which song it is when you see a band in concert for the 3rd or 4th time. (Well of course, if they have a very long or changed styles there might be several choices.)

I think naming it is very easy for anyone that has been following a band for many years.

Otherwise it's a bit like 'The one you like best.'

i think there are 2 songs. a) one that is when you don't know a band at all and it's the first one you hear.or the most popular of them or the reason you discovered them.and b} an other when you are a fan for a long time you have a different perspective about which song represents the band . and means more to you. sometimes it can be the same song but other times it changes.

(i don't know about the live perspective. it can be different songs)

examples

for l'arc en ciel

for example that i am not a big fan.i don't know much. it think their most famous song when i was new in vkei was stay away or ready steady go. that i never listened so much. i used to like seventh heaven so much lol (wtf was this pv) or driver's high. actually i like drink it down very much but it took me very long time to listen to it.and i think it's random song.

i will agree with blurry eyes also though

for buck tick

although the first song i ever saw was live sasayaki where atsushi dance and licks the shoes lol. i think kagerou is the song for me.that can be a and b..although i can sure think of more songs that can be.

for deg

for example it completly changed. people will say yokan/Obscure/cage/the final usually.

the songs that i listened from the most famous are the final and yokan. but yokan seems so long ago. i never listened a lot to the other.as strange as it sounds.the first song i was obssessed and discover them was either  CLEVER SLEAZOID or Agitated Screams of Maggots (i don't remember)

but now after time. i would choose(but this is personal). merciless cult for middle period probably. Vinushka for last years and tsumi to batsu for early years.

i guess i can still go with the final though.as the most popular.

one friend of mine who doesn't like deg said it's the song that everyone likes even people who don't like them. and i think it's pretty amazing song.

with luna sea

definitely i will say rosier or dejavu.xD . it was deja vu for me but rosier was the most famous i think when i was new in vk.

with D

for me is  Yami Yori Kurai Doudoku ...

(plus that opera voice is classic i am laughing and wtf so much like every time)

edit: omg and sleeper of course. one of the first pv's i saw & the making

edit: alice nine

is rainbows for me too. .as a person who don't listen to them.

edit again : phantasmagoria

i think it's Gensoukyoku Eternal Silence or lost in thought if i remember right.

and i loved kami uta or matarial pain but i found it a lot later.

i used to listen to them a lot but it's been years since that. i kinda gave up listening a long long time ago.

Is it the song that defines their style or the song that basically propelled their careers as a band and made them even more popular?

I'd have trouble with Alice Nine's. It feels like it would be Number Six but then again, Rainbows was pretty much the turning point for them

I would say for Alice Nine probably "Fantasy"

-Nocturnal Bloodlust - obviously "Sphere"

-Mejibray "Sabbato" or maybe "Avalon"?

-SCREW "Kairos"

- Sadie "Meisai" 

- UNITE "Starting Over"

EllDorado - DAYDREAM.

Dué le quartz - Re:plica

As for Alice Nine, in my opinion their THE SONG would be Yami ni chiru sakura. Specially because the song is very catchy and one of their first songs to be uploaded on Youtube when Youtube just started to spread across the world. So it was a MUST when searching for Alice Nine PVs on Youtube in 2005/6

I was trying to think what Girugamesh's "song" would be. If I go based on what their most popular song is on last.fm is, it would be Break Down. But that doesn't seem right to me. I feel like they when they were most popular and well received what during their Self-titled album period. If I were to go with the the most "appealing" song off of that album, it would be Patchwork. But I am going to go out on a limb and say Kowarete Iku Sekai. Even if it isn't their most popular song, it says to me what giru was at that time and was filled with a power and emotion they have never captured again.

Gonna make my obligitory KuRT post here:

I think for them it has to be Sweet Lemon Broker...it's the song that first comes to your head when you think of them

or at least that's been my experience with it.

another band that I was really into way back when, was LuLu and I think the song for them would have to be 精神鎮痛剤 (seishin chinstsuuzai) mostly because its like the only song they have a PV for and they've put it on damn near every album lol.

also, in my own opinion I think 'Guren' did it for NoGoD, but then again Atria was really popular too if I recall correctly?

Idk, these are just some of my opinions.

I must first caveat this by saying this is a really cool discussion thread.

Here are my personal thoughts on signature songs from the following artists:

Dir en grey:

Signature Song: “The Final”

While they had already gained notoriety in Japan prior to this, especially in their early days with singles like “I’ll” and “Jealous” since Yoshiki had his name attached to them as a producer, I feel that the song that rocketed them internationally was “The Final”. During the concerts I have been to, it is the one song the entire crowd knows all the words to and maintains its popularity today. However, due to the fact the band has undergone so many stylistic changes and styles, you can’t pin a signature song on them that defines their entire career. I can understand how many people will try to use “Obscure” to pin as their signature since it has also been an enduring favorite, but it does not have the overall mainstream popularity that “The Final” had.

Bump of Chicken:

Signature Song: “天体観測 (Tentai Kansoku)”

While this band is not VK at all, their popularity in Japan is immense, and while they gained a following with the hit “Glass no blues”, Tentai Kansoku is their undisputable anthem and well defines their style of music. It also might be the first song that really inspired me to fall in love with Japanese music.

Glay:

Signature Song: “誘惑(Yuuwaku)”

To me, this has always been solidified as the go to Glay song in my mind, closely followed by “Winter, Again”. I saw someone else list “Kanjou no Modern”, but it did not have the impact or sales of these other two songs in my opinion, although it does well define their style. Yuuwaku is quintessential Glay. A classic.

Siam Shade:

Signature Song: “1/3の純情な感情 (No Junjou Na Kanjou)”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pME-40poloQ

Aided as the opening theme of Ruronin Kenshin, this song is not only amazing, it is also the defining Siam Shade song. I still play the intro of it on my guitar again and again and love everything about this track. A 90’s staple that you will always see on cover albums.

Hide:

Signature Song: “Pink Spider”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EItnwC_DDrc

This was a hard one to call since Hide was so immensely popular from his days with X-Japan and had many popular singles. While this single was well into his solo discography, Pink Spider is his nickname namesake and is routinely covered by many of Japans artists that idolize him, and it is a very defining Hide song indeed.

The Blue Hearts:

Signature Song: “Train Train”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bAjcWuIVk

This song was neck-n-neck with “Linda Linda” for The Blue Hearts –THE- song, but I personally witnessed more Japanese people attempt to sing this track in Karaoke contests, so I feel it is their most well-known song. I hope that I am not dating myself too much with this song, but I know that The Blue Hearts are an Iconic Japanese Punk band that deserves a mention.

I also agree with the “Blurry Eyes” recommendation of those referring to L’arc. They were already immensely popular before “Ready-Steady-Go” was released (I think Hyde, Tetsu, and J (sons of all pussies) had already released successful solo albums by then).

Outside of "The Final" (since it was released well into my J-Music addiction), the songs above defined my early discovery of Japanese music and are the foundation that I built upon to the music collection I have today.  They are pure nostalgia for me, so I am very preferential to love them without restraint.