Peace Heavy mk II

-THE- Song

Bands tend to have a song that 'made' them, be it a fan favorite or thrust them into the limelight. What is -THE- song for your favorite bands and do you agree with it? If not, what do you feel should be -THE- song?

Penicillin: "ロマンス"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11X0x1hyhvQ

This song pretty much took them from being popular to god-tier in the late 90s, and according to the oricon chart site floating around in some other threads, the single for this song itself outsold most of today's popular band's discographies entirely. This song is also on every collection album and omnibus ever, and each tribute album will undoubtedly contain this song.

Do I agree with this choice? Ehh, not really. While I do like the song, I don't feel it is their absolute best. If I had to pick another song to represent them, I'd pick something like "Chaos" or maybe even "Nightmare Before Christmas" (even if they didn't write it, but w/e). I do really like Nano's cover of "ロマンス," though (Nano was a side project of Penicillin's vocalist and guitarist).

Madeth Gray'll: "Lucifer"

Pretty much the pinnacle of visual-kei's 90s gawf scene, this song encompasses everything that style of music considers near and dear: fake pipe organ, frilly acoustic guitar filler, a vocalist that can't hold a high note, twangy bass, and flowery flourishes that'll make feel so gaudy you'll need to shower to wash off the 2nd-hand black lipstick. Plus, there's modulation at the end and a song structure that's actually not garage band simple.

So is god's ex-favorite angel enough to represent them? I will go with yes. While their fans argue about what the 'best' Madeth song is, usually bickering amongst "Lucifer," "Missantroop," and "Entith de marge," I do feel that this song best represents their progression as a band and thematically ties them together exceptionally well. While my favorite song of their changes dependent on my mood, I do feel "Lucifer" is an accurate call for their -THE- song.

Penicillin was popular as a visual kei band, but not really as a normal japanese pop act. But when they released Romance, oh boy. That's one of those visual kei hits only the 90's could provide. These days only bands like Sid can get higher oricon positions and even for them it's not something that happens everyday.

Other tracks like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFPQPrZO-8o

Sophia - Machi

I don't think they ever managed to reach what this track got again. Though it's highest position was 13th, it made the album little circus reach 6th and Both album and single stayed for more than 30 weeks on the charts. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oB_L5E_XNU

Luna Sea - Rosier

Their breakthrough. Though not their best selling single, it spent 25 weeks on the charts. Just like Machi and Romance, it's featured on dozens of collections of 90's japanese rock hits. A really memorable chorus and an overall great song, it brought Luna Sea to the mainstream spotlights, even if they were already pretty known on the rock side of the thing. After this, many other hits came: Desire, Storm, I for You, True Blue, but Rosier's probably the most famous and "the" Luna Sea song.

cali=gari's trademark song is probably Erotopia, they usually bring out the theatrics (read: dancing trannies) when they perform it live and it's been a staple in all their setlists ever since its release, I think. (Though they stopped playing it in their recent shows apparently?) The song itself also sort of represents their 'eroguro' nature lyrics-wise, I guess.

Personally, I think its album-mate Blue Film would be a better representative of their music, if only because it has this semi-melancholy aspect that shines through in many of their songs in some way. (And I just think Erotopia is boring)

Guest mitsubana

I would say for ANSIA (f.k.a auncia):

"KeyCase" is the song that made them popular, and I feel like it was just that song. 

In my opinion they have way better songs, especially their first few releases.

Cool thread!

I think that -THE- song isn't easy to make out for every band, especially those that changed their style sometime. Or well, for bands you aren't a hardcore-fan of, because you have no idea what their live-playlists usually are.

But some are indeed very obvious.

For ヴィドール I'd say it's オカルトプロポーズ.

Their first single.

So of course it's not their best selling one or the one that made them famous over night (they just became famous gradually, because they were so good, I guess.) BUT It's the one song that's most closely connected to their concept (Occult romance) and they played it all the way until their disbandment. It's also a very typical ヴィドール song.

Medium-paced ballad with melodic twin guitars, dramatic singing and the prominent bass and drumline that defined their style during their first period.

Also typical shabby video from the early 00s when you had to film a pv, but didn't have the money to pay a decent one.

http://youtu.be/A2rGEcKuPXY

As for La'Mule it's without a doubt ナイフ.

Not their best-selling single, either. (That must have been 結界.) But the absolute peek of their career.

Like Vidoll, they gradually gained fame and at the time they released ナイフ they were something like the most popular indies band of their time. Shortly after that the big 'extinction' of oldschool visual kei happened. La'Mule's label closed down and they lost lots of fans.

But ナイフ still sounds like it was made for huge venues.

I think that it's very defining for their style. Very energetic and fast, yet full of melancholy. 'Love and Blood/Suicide' is also a central motive.

They played ナイフ at every concert. It was also the last song they performed before their activity-pause and the last one they played at their last live.

http://youtu.be/OXMUwGUeYwM

Merry - Japanese Modernist

Dir en grey - Obscure

Plastic Tree - Melancholic (entry level weeaboo answer: Ghost)

I think these 3 tracks are probably worth considering as signature songs, as they've been staples in the bands' setlists ever since their release, I think.

Buck-Tick - ROMANCE/Just One More Kiss (the former is pretty much their biggest internet hit and the latter is say, one of the biggest jrock hits to date in 80s)

Alice Nine - Rainbows

D'espairsRay - Garnet/Squall

Dir en grey - Yokan/Cage/Obscure/The Final

Tokyo Jihen - Himitsu (the majority adores it, srsly)

Ringo Shiina - Gips (basically most of Japanese youth who've spent their days in early 00s have heard this piece soooooo many times)

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite/Blue Train

L'arc~en~ciel - like every anime op song of theirs (INCLUDING Blurry Eyes too)

That's all I could come up with, eh.

I would say L'arc en ciel are more known for Drink it Down specifically, at least as "weaboo level", as OP would say. 

Pretty surprised about the division about X japan. I would say Art of Life its their flag song. Maybe we could agree on Malice Mizer having Mizerable for that?

I would say L'arc en ciel are more known for Drink it Down specifically, at least as "weaboo level", as OP would say. 

Pretty surprised about the division about X japan. I would say Art of Life its their flag song. Maybe we could agree on Malice Mizer having Mizerable for that?

Umm aren't you meaning "Ready Steady Go" by that?

Also, Mizerable is Gackt's song, lawlz.

That reminds me:

Gackt - Vanilla (WHY? LIKE ONE OF THE BIGGEST "VK" HITS EVER)

Who cares who's song is? We have to get to a consensus here, shalow your pride plz. Also Ready Stady Go was a Jam Project song wtf are you talking about?

Who cares who's song is? We have to get to a consensus here, shalow your pride plz. Also Ready Stady Go was a Jam Project song wtf are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHHoGTwV6Sg

/ Easily one of the songs that are  related to "first-thought anime songs" in non-fanatic knowledge (along with Sailor Moon tunes)

Mizerable was released by Gackt after he went solo. THE song for Malice Mizer would be Au Revoir, I'd say. Or any Meirvelles singles, that album was a hit parade.

And I'm pretty sure that Ready Steady Go is from L'Arc-en-ciel. Never heard about Jam Project having any relation with it.

For L'Arc, I'd say Blurry Eyes. It was the song that skyrocketed them, no?

This topic is great, but we should define what is THE song, it's the most famous song? It's the song that showcases the artist best work? it's a mixture of that?

This discussion of L'arc's "SONG" is simultaneously cracking me up and making me feel old, not to mention sad.  Is Drink It Down seriously their song?  Because when I first knew of them, The Song was pretty much Niji.

In other words, entry-level weaboo answer might be the keywords describing all previous discussion here lol.

Now I'm a little confused.

I thought this thread was about 'THE' song that 'defines' a band. Like the song they always play live, that makes the whole audience scream, that has a strong connection to the band concept, has tours named after it, carries a strong meaning for the fans etcetc.

You simply know which song it is when you see a band in concert for the 3rd or 4th time. (Well of course, if they have a very long or changed styles there might be several choices.)

I think naming it is very easy for anyone that has been following a band for many years.

Otherwise it's a bit like 'The one you like best.'

I was going more for the angle of the song that put a band on the map (even if it is a very small map, like "Apocalypse" did for Megaromania) and as a result became definitive for them, but it seemed to have turned into a discussion about anthems. I guess they're essentially one in the same in some cases.

Don't really follow them, but weren't Laruku super big before the onslaught of greasy teenagers half-assedly mouthing along to "Ready Steady Go?"

For me:

Baiser - Prism and Flora

Noir fleurir - Omocha no Miisha

Missalina Rei TO-KI-ME-KI

Aliene Ma'riage - Shimobe

Dir en grey - Cage (mainly among others)

L'arc en ciel - Blurry eyes

I think this depends on some factors like age, the time when you came across a specific band, country, etc.

I just spent some time thinking about what "the song" would be for D. Some that came to mind were Vampire Missa, Yami Yori..., Schwarzchild...but in the end, I think Ouka Saki Some ni Keri is what I would say is the closest thing to their "song"

I feel like it is maybe the most representative song of D, both newer and older, but while still being a great and well liked song. 

I just spent some time thinking about what "the song" would be for D. Some that came to mind were Vampire Missa, Yami Yori..., Schwarzchild...but in the end, I think Ouka Saki Some ni Keri is what I would say is the closest thing to their "song"

I feel like it is maybe the most representative song of D, both newer and older, but while still being a great and well liked song. 

maybe its just me but what about night ship d?