Sign in to follow this  
Augie1995

Prog band suggestions

All right, since I am looking for prog bands (doesn't matter what country) ever since I got into Periphery about a year ago, I was hoping some of you that are more knowledgeable on this matter could suggest some awesome Prog metal/rock bands to me. Avoid posting bands that are also mostly non-stop screaming, I do appreciate when a band has come amazing clean vocals (Like Periphery and Chronographs)

I already know and love these bands here:

Periphery

TesseracT

Chronographs

Sean Hall

Anciients

Between The Buried and Me

The HAARP Machines

Means End

Polyphia

Scale The Summit

Uneven Structures

If you know bands that are similar to Periphery, TesseracT, Scale The Summit, and/or Polyphia, DO NOT HESITATE to post that band on here :)

Animals As Leaders (instrumental prog)

Chimp Spanner (see above)

Ever Forthright (some of the most far-out trippy random stuff I've heard)

Monuments (kinda regular djenty prog)

Fellsilent (this one might be a bit heavier)

...these are some of the bands I dig. I'm no expert tho - it just happens that I listen to these bands, but dunno/haven't tried any of the ones you listed (well ok, except for HAARP). xD

Myriath

Symphony X

Stormental

Angra

Dreamtheater

BioMechanical

Daath

Opeth

Porcupine Tree

Protest the Hero

Stratovarius

Its hard to list just 'progressive' bands without breaking into the other sub genre's prog rock/metal and power metal

Ones that haven't been mentioned.

The Human Abstract

Blotted Science

The Evan Brewer Project

Guthrie Govan

Tool

Coheed and Cambria

Intervals

Pomegranate Tiger

Red Seas Fire

Enslaved

These ones have more screaming and growling although they still employ clean vocals sometimes.

Born Of Osiris

The Faceless

Volumes

Seconding Pandabear's suggestion for Tool and The Faceless (tho you might wanna start with their last album, since that one has clean vocals).

Almost forgot these.

Karnivool

Mastodon

Baroness

Stargazer

After The Burial - Modern prog djent type of band, but they almost strictly use growled vocals. Music is great though.

Opeth and Ocean

Ocean are from Germany -- they're usually an instrumental band; but their latest record (and their best) has two versions: one with vocals and the other without so there's something there for everyone. I prefer the instrumental version because that's how it is intended to be listened to; but if you can't stand that luckily there's vocals as well -- and they're not all screams.

http://youtu.be/Nx7u6ZSxeI8

Protest the Hero
Pain of Salvation (their current stuff is more 70s prog-like, their older stuff is more metal)

Opeth

Ayreon (not a band but a project, with many guest artists from the prog and metal scene)

Savatage

Ones that haven't been mentioned.

The Human Abstract

Blotted Science

The Evan Brewer Project

Guthrie Govan

Tool

Coheed and Cambria

Intervals

Pomegranate Tiger

Red Seas Fire

Enslaved

These ones have more screaming and growling although they still employ clean vocals sometimes.

Born Of Osiris

The Faceless

Volumes

Born Of Osiris's new album, Tomorrow We Die Alive, was leaked in case you want to hear it. Definitely better than their previous work, The Discovery, which was an amazing album

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/15492601/file.html

^ Thanks, but I plan on buying that album.  Only 1 more day. The Discovery was a prog-tech masterpiece and I'm pumped to hear the new material. Their recent singles were missing the prog structures and technical guitar leads the discovery had, but I'm hoping they saved all that for other songs on the album.

^ Thanks, but I plan on buying that album.  Only 1 more day. The Discovery was a prog-tech masterpiece and I'm pumped to hear the new material. Their recent singles were missing the prog structures and technical guitar leads the discovery had, but I'm hoping they saved all that for other songs on the album.

The singles released for this album didn't really do it justice IMO. Machine was good but Divergency was rather bland for them to me, especially with that rather random attempt at dubstep towards the final section. The rest of the album truly is BOO worthy! I have a feeling you'll enjoy Vengeance and Illusionist off of their new album

Can I bring this thread back up? Or maybe hijack it....

Anyone got any bands that are similar to Rishloo and Fair to Midland? I'm pretty sure they count as prog, but they seem to be a lot softer than a lot of the suggestions on here so far?? (not checked out all of them due to goddamn slow internet) But something with similar sounding vocals would be nice.

I tend to listen to full albums so the albums i've been listening to are
Rishloo - Eidolon

Fair to Midland - Arrows & Anchors

just in case anyone wants to check them out too >< or get a vague idea what i'm after

Try

Karnivool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjvtx3HMUks

Porcupine Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6TUGJRYig4

Coheed and Cambria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1Dubqke28

You might also dig Tool

Thanks for the recommendations guys > < and Coheed and Cambria is one band I've never been able to get into...I think it might be something in his voice? It's better than I remember it being, but still

Karnivool on the other hand, that song has me hooked! I think I might be buying Sound Awake because of this ^_^

And definitely will check out their new album too! I've just been a little busy recently > . <

If we're not going for Prog specifically, can I direct you towards Protest The Hero...or everyone seeing this? They just released what is definitely the best metal album of 2013, getting amazing reviews all around by metal sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=ppwWGTgGMMQ

Thanks for the recommendations guys > < and Coheed and Cambria is one band I've never been able to get into...I think it might be something in his voice? It's better than I remember it being, but still

Karnivool on the other hand, that song has me hooked! I think I might be buying Sound Awake because of this ^_^

And definitely will check out their new album too! I've just been a little busy recently > . <

I, too, haven't been able to get into Coheed. Well, honestly I haven't listened to much of their stuff other than the catchy songs from back in 2003-ish and the ones I saw them play live last year, lol. Maybe I just have short attention span for anything that's not really catchy or technically to go gaga over.

Guess I don't actually listen to that many prog bands, but I've been listening to Protest the Hero, Intervals, The Faceless, and Periphery (and a bit of Between the Burried and Me, still need some time to get used to it. They sound like someone who just discovered everything about opera and going all spasticly enthusiastic about it lol). Other than that are maybe bands that don't really really fit into the genre, but definitely have prog-like qualities. Or just technical and bizarre. Like, the Dillinger Escape Plan (more like mathcore/metal, really). And you might not consider Mudvayne as progressive or metal, but they have some of the qualities.

I gotta confess that I'm not always fond of the "slow movement" that usually people consider as characteristic of progressive rock/metal. I prefer to be overwhelmed. Also, not really gravitating towards the older prog metal bands with a more "classic" metal feel, or with a slow doom feel.

I'm way late to the party, but a few recommendations that I personally enjoy a lot. No idea if any of these are what you're looking for, though. I'm not into much wanky prog music so that's not what you'll find here.

Devil Doll - Devil Doll was a symphonic progressive rock band that mixes prog rock, prog metal, avant-garde, goth rock, metal and more. One of the most unique and original bands ever. Very theatrical and dramtic music topped by Mr. Doctor's amazing sprechgesang. Brilliant band. Long, long songs. Shortest song are 20 minutes long, so we're talking about a band with long compositions. One of my all-time favourite bands.

Goblin - Legendary Italian progressive rock band which are famous for their soundtracks to classic horror films such as Dawn of the Dead, Suspiria and Deep Red among others, as well as other non-soundtrack albums. Another brilliant band. Seeing Claudio Simonetti's Goblin in some weeks. I'm really looking forward to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JpuislFVzU

Arcturus - These guys started off as a symphonic/atmospheric black metal band but got more progressive with each release. The second album, La Masquerade Infernale, is a tivoli-like avant-garde album, but it gots lots of grim vocals so I guess that's not your cup of tea. The third album however is almost free of black metal and has more of a "outer space"-influenced sound. Their fourth, and so far last album, is a lot less metalesque and moe dreamy. I love all the albums. Fantastic live band too. And they seem to be comming with a new album in 2014.

Morte Macabre - Progressive rock band that covers songs from well-known horror films, and they're characterised by excessive use of mellotron and synthesizers. With members from the Swedish prog masters Anekdoten. Lovely band, especially for a horror freak such as meself.

Nicklas Barker - This is the solo roject of Nicklas Barker of Anekdoten and Morte Macabre. He's only released one album as far as I knowand that is El Último Fin De Semana, a soundtrack to a film with the same title. Horror prog rock. The way I like it.

Reviving this thread slightly (also super late but whatever), will check them out and thanks for all the suggestions :3 The first ones to catch my eye were Arcturus, I've found myself studying to a fair amount of  black metal esp in the atmospheric/depressive areas so i'm in the process of downloading their entire discog as I usually like to go with full albums *buzzing* so excite

Anyhoo, I guess this is going slightly off topic :P

Sign in to follow this