Sign in to follow this  
ficsci

Software for composing

What software do you use when you compose for a rock band? That is, if you're showing the work to someone else who'll be playing it.

I don't have Mac and don't want to spend a lot of time fussing over the computer, so I just use Guitar Pro. But the midi playback sounds like crap. Would that be too janky to present the composition to a guitarist? (even though the notations are all there)

When I was in a band we always used GuitarPro, that's the easiest imo. If you want a bit more "live" sound you could try out FL Studio too, but that might be a little too much effort just to compose and show something to someone else. xD

^^ pretty much all that

guitar pro can be a bit confusing at first so read the manual

fl studio is good to give people an idea of what it'll sound like live, it's cluttered but I'd say it's fairly user friendly

you could try mixcraft too, it doesn't look anything amazing but it's still good, though that and fl studio are DAW

Yeah, I use guitar pro. There are a ton of other music softwares for composition and note notation. And if your showing it to someone, it's all they should need. If they can't read music then, they probably should learn how to.

If you want the part to be actually played then you would probably have to record the part yourself and give it to the person you're showing. Otherwise the midi playback on guitar pro should be sufficient for them to get the rhythm and time of the piece. You don't need the playback to sound like the actual instrument, unless your creating a backing track or programming something like drums, but that's a different issue.

Sign in to follow this