Sign in to follow this  
MAJ

MAJ's songs

A musician's corner :D

Without a band, but with songs lying around I decided to make a demo called BIRN BIGITHI under the project name A White Flag in Barren Fields just to satisfy my own need of creating and learning. Hurray for technology these days.

Didn't bother to attempt singing though, but do write lyrics/stories for my songs.

You can probably hear the VK influences as it really inspired me years ago when I was in the beginning of learning songwriting.

Genre: Poprock/hardrock

Below are some short clips,Can't get it to work :P

So you can listen here http://www.facebook.com/AWhiteFlagInBarrenFields/app_2405167945

If anyone is curious to the lyrics and full songs the DEMO EP can be downloaded at: http://www.mediafire.com/?b1z4xmp5e88vf1g

CoverFront_zps278da054.jpgCoverBack_zps6927c3ed.jpg

Your Shady Pleasures

Habel ~Because of the Destruction~

Unfamiliar Amenity

Glass Tree

I learned alot from the process and now have some more songs in the planning which will hopefully be of better quality.

whoa that sounds nice! really interesting songs and sounds, one can tell that a lot of effort went into those. for the future just try to improve the drumprogramming, that kind of shouts "midi" all over the track (different velocities and/or "playing" with a keyboard works wonders..)

Wow, really great stuff. I enjoyed all of this. I've been into a lot of instrumental stuff lately too since I'm such a guitar and composition nerd, so this is up my alley. And I have to agree with bonsaijodelfisch on the drumming. It sounds way too mechanical and stiff at times which is a problem with drum programming. Humanizing them with different velocities should improve things and if you can, try to better EQ them as well. Or get someone to do that for you. This should particularly help with the kick drum when performing double bass.

Some of this is really good and has a lot of potential!

are you writing drums in midi? I'd suggest using something like ezdrummer! (if you don't want to pay there might be a torrent around)

The vk influences are definantly there but it all sounds very nice, like the other posters my only gripe is the drums

also strangely sweet, without sounding too mean you need to work on the transition, either slow the intro down or speed up (I'm guessing it's the verse?)

Other than that, keep at it!

Some of this is really good and has a lot of potential!

are you writing drums in midi? I'd suggest using something like ezdrummer! (if you don't want to pay there might be a torrent around)

The vk influences are definantly there but it all sounds very nice, like the other posters my only gripe is the drums

also strangely sweet, without sounding too mean you need to work on the transition, either slow the intro down or speed up (I'm guessing it's the verse?)

Other than that, keep at it!

I actually have used EZ Drummer in these songs, and am fiddling with it lately to get a more realistic sound before I record new songs.

And don't worry for sounding mean or something, now I know about the things I should focus on improving and that is a great help.

Over a year of learning later... here are two of my recent compositions which are completely different from what I’ve posted here before… The files are exported directly from Finale through Garritan because they are only the basic composition yet.

https://soundcloud.com/wendy-van-der-donk/movement-of-human-behaviour

https://soundcloud.com/wendy-van-der-donk/silence-wendy-van-der-donk-b-c

I have grown into a way of composing that is very natural and organic to me, instead of wanting to achieve a certain genre or style. I don’t even know what style it fits, maybe it can be pushed into some classical genre although I doubt all “rules” are met.

Now I’m still pondering about how to translate these compositions into songs to be performed live. Being a guitarist and wanting to do lives it will probably be something like a trio with guitar, bass and keyboard. It will really need some depth and warmth in the arrangements to create an ambiance and I worry that the sound would become very thin.

Some thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Very cool.  I myself am a sucker for string arrangements, I could see this being played with two to three electric guitars as well.

Three guitars could indeed create the depth needed in layers. That's really a good suggestion to keep in mind, thanks!

Sign in to follow this