Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Recording Software

So what does everyone use to make/record tracks? I use audacity and ACID PRO 5. I'm more of a live performer so I haven't had need for much. I quite like Acid for remixing tracks or when I'm using loops.

However now that I am getting into recording, I've been considering stuff like Cubase and Pro Tool as sequencers for my DAW. I'm leaning more toward Pro-Tools but before shelling out like 600$ I want to make sure its worth it and that I'm not just buying into a popular name.

You could also try looking into Sony's SOUND FORGE series There may or may not be ways to get around the trial's expiration date...*coughcough*

if you can get the EDU-versions protools and cubase cost around 280 bucks i think, or if you put in a little criminal energy cubase 5 is pretty easy to find.

also worth considering is samplitude which is pretty cheap (or sequoia, which is really expensive, but again, v7.0 is easy to find and only 70MB!).

as in performance of the programms they all are pretty much on the same line, it all comes down to what appeals to you the most,

what you get your hands on first and what runs the most stable on your system.

i'm a cubase-user to the bone myself, although leaning to get protools for finalmix/mastering purposes

(since it sounds a little better, i couldn't believe it myself, the software itself with the exact same audiofiles in it actually sounds better!),

but protools is kind of a bitch honestly, the "pro" in the name always seems like bitter irony to me...

Okay so I've been "sampling" some of the mentioned sequencers and I really like cubase. Although for the mixing and mastering I found pro tools to be better. So I'll think I'll be using a combination of both. Also I tried Fruity Loops Studio and I freaking love it. I always loved electronic music and wanted to make some cool beats for some dance/electro-pop stuff and I think I've found my secret weapon.

I use Adobe Audition and sometimes Fruity Loops, just like Pandabear said, for electronic music it's really good :)

So does anyone know if Cubase is more recommendable than Audition? I mainly record vocals, sometimes some keyboards and rarely guitar. I'm pretty satisfied with Audition at the moment, but sometimes I wish for some more cool effects :D

Okay so I've been "sampling" some of the mentioned sequencers and I really like cubase. Although for the mixing and mastering I found pro tools to be better. So I'll think I'll be using a combination of both. Also I tried Fruity Loops Studio and I freaking love it. I always loved electronic music and wanted to make some cool beats for some dance/electro-pop stuff and I think I've found my secret weapon.
I use Adobe Audition and sometimes Fruity Loops, just like Pandabear said, for electronic music it's really good :)

So does anyone know if Cubase is more recommendable than Audition? I mainly record vocals, sometimes some keyboards and rarely guitar. I'm pretty satisfied with Audition at the moment, but sometimes I wish for some more cool effects :D

if you have a mac logic pro could be your weapn of choice, pretty easy to handle and with a gazillion of already pretty good instruments/effects/loops etc (i personally can't stand it though)

have no idea about audition and never really heard about it, i think it's kind of "the daw that comes with the Creative Suite" isn't it? might work fine but isn't really that widespread.

cubase has lots of FX and they all work pretty well (and it's great for recording in my opinion), but as with any DAW the fun starts with the additional vst-plugins.

there are tons of free VST-plugins to use out there from highly professional compressor/equalizer/ampsim/metering to straight off the chart bollocks freakstuff.

also hell yeah fruity loops, didn't know they were still around, pretty oldschool but great programm afaik :P

just for the record for dance-electro-dj-pop etc. ableton live might be worth more than just a look.

it's the programm that more or less defined the course of the music in recent years if i remember correctly.

Sign in to follow this