Zeus

Best/Most Representative album of any genre?

Yeah, I'll probably start a new topic to not get confused but that's the plan! I just stopped now before the list got too large to do anything with.

Arguing time! xD

Justice - † (Electro) - bonsaijodelfisch

This album has two really good songs on it...that's it. Seriously, this album is kinda crap besides Genesis and Phantom Pt. II (those two songs are really good though, lol)

I would really recommend The Glitch Mob's Drink the Sea album take this one's place, or at least put it in a genre of Glitch or Glitch-hop lol

MONO - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (Post-Rock) - Zesshoku

Sorry Zess xD. This album is a good one, but it is hardly Representative, nor do I think it is the best. It really is an amazing album, but I need to be in a certain mood to enjoy it, and i think there are much better choices out there. I am not sure that I have the best replacement, but Explosions In The Sky, God Is an Astronaut, Pelican, or Mogwai come to mind first.

russian circles - geneva / post-metal

I would agree with that, but I have a hard time deciding whether geneva, station, or enter would be a better choice xD. They are all amazing albums and they are all worth listening to lol

@Ito: I only added Hymn to the Immortal Wind because when I recounted the list I realized I came up short by one so I threw it in there to even it out. If anyone's got anything better to replace it with by all means say something.

And as for his other argument: anyone else for or against?

Arguing time! xD
Justice - † (Electro)

This album has two really good songs on it...that's it. Seriously, this album is kinda crap besides Genesis and Phantom Pt. II (those two songs are really good though, lol)

I would really recommend The Glitch Mob's Drink the Sea album take this one's place, or at least put it in a genre of Glitch or Glitch-hop lol

russian circles - geneva / post-metal

I would agree with that, but I have a hard time deciding whether geneva, station, or enter would be a better choice xD. They are all amazing albums and they are all worth listening to lol

i beg to differ :P , Justice-cross has lots of great songs on it. beside the two you named, waters of nazareth, stress, let there be light, DVNO and (though very overplayed) d.a.n.c.e are great tracks! genre-wise it's always tough to find a label for music, i said distorted electro, wikipedia calls it electro-rock and french-house, whatever.

as for russian circles, yeah it's difficult to pick one, honestly today i lean slightly in favour of station, but yeah, it pretty much doesn't matter, they're all great...

Kingston Wall - II (psychedelic/progressive rock with a hint of traditional Indian music)

This is probably the best rock album ever made in Finland. Extremely talented trio.

Edit: Oh wait, no more bands? Well, I'll just leave this here if someone wants to check it out.

J Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental Hip-hop)

Suprised that there's something i find amazing mentioned here. Listen to this album ASAP!

Too bad i didn't find this thread earlier, since i love pimping my music to other people! My contributions are:

Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor ( Really unorthodox Black Metal )

Famine has a guitar playing style entirely of his own, which is enough of a reason to pay attention to his works. The acoustic sections and solos are phenomenal and the raw twisted production works to the advantage of the melodic riffs which are full of RAC spirit as they are playful and up-lifting ( which makes the album even more unnerving ), in way. The vocals don't compromise at all and just adds to the creepiness of the album. Great interludes and cover art to boot.

Recommended this album instead of the first, as you've might have already listened to it since it features Neige in one of tracks.

Grand Belial's Key - Judeobeast Assassination ( Black Metal )

One of my favorite albums of all time definitely. Great lyrics, Gelal's signature riffing at it's best, and one of the reasons why i feature it here is that it's really easy to get into, even if it's far from safe on the composition side. The production does a great job making the riffs seem even more catchy than they are already by themselves and the vocals get stuck in your head too. Just like with the other album i mentioned, the solos are one of it's highlights. The last song " Doves of War " is the track that stands out the most and that's something when everything else is no less than amazing too. The vocals are filthy, mighty and full of emotion and just like the incredible solo at the the end, it's hatred in audio form.

Just random recommendations that came to mind. Maybe adding something that i like at the moment to this list later.

Don't feel like these recommendations are going to waste because whenever we finish up with this one there might be another and that's where these will go. It's just that if we keep adding on, we'll never be done ;D

Why not:

Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape (Post grunge)

How can this not be representative of post grunge. It's a band by Dave Grohl, the only mainstream performing member of Nirvana, combining the grunge style of Nirvana with more pop influences.. It's produced by the producer of one of Nirvana's biggest influences, the Pixies. Hits such as "Monkey Wrench," "My Hero," and "Everlong" were repeatedly played during MTV in it's day.

Radiohead - OK Computer (experimental alternative rock)

This album is the point where they started becoming more experimental. Has hits like "Paranoid Android", "Karma Police" and "No Surprises."

Daft Punk - Discovery (electro house)

Probably one of the most known electro-house bands to people unfamiliar with the electro house genre. This band pretty much made me like electro and reminds my favorite electro band.

Weezer - Pinkerton (emo)

While this is not an emo album it went on to inspire many emo artists. And Asian Kung-fu Generation. And it's awesome. Anyway I like this one.

Interpol - Antics (Post-punk Revival)

This is one of the albums I'd recommend to people who like rock and haven't yet listened to Interpol. All instrumental and vocal parts are well put together.

Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 (Rap)

Because this thread (and even my post) seems to be dominated by rock with hints of electronica. I wanted to choose Snoop Dogg or Dr. Dre from this category but I only knew one song off of each of their "best" albums. Anyway, people like this one and I know a few songs off of it.

The Cure - Greatest Hits (New Wave)

I think the Cure is one of the best New Wave albums but most of their best songs are spread around. So you get the greatest hit.

Pixies - Doolittle (Indie)

This band influenced many well-known English bands such as Radiohead, Nirvana, Weezer, and Muse. They've also influenced Japanese bands such as Number Girl. These bands went on to influence about half of what was on the radio. Doolittle in particular has many of their more well known "hits" such as "Debaser" and "Here comes your man."

N.E.R.D - Fly or Die (Rap-rock)

Not much to say about this band. A rap-rock band by one of the biggest rap production groups. Features artists such as Lenny Kravitz and the Madden brothers from Good Charlotte. This is more of an IMO best, because both this album and band seems to not be that known.

I'm going to suggest a few things on the usual end of my spectrum, so let's see what happens :P

pmtoday - In Media Res (Progressive Rock / Post Hardcore)

The best description I have ever given of this album is if Coheed & Cambria had a child with The Fall of Troy. The vocals are are a quirk, but by no means are they bad, and the instrumentation is full of energy and punch, along with a good amount of goddamn tier skill.

Protest The Hero - Scurrilous (Progressive Metal)

I cannot say anything bad about them except for the possibility of their lyrics being a tad forced at times, and considering the flair with which they perform the songs themselves, I'm not sure even that is a bad thing. Bloody excellent performers with a math-y flair for taste.

Thrice - Beggars (Post Hardcore / Experimental Rock)

My favorite album by Thrice since their turn toward art rock back in 2005. This record has such an organic feel to it when compared with other bands, its hard to believe that Thrice were once hardcore punk band with melodic hardcore underpinnings.

The Kiddie - Brave New World (Pop Rock) - Arithmetica

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (Psychedelic Rock) - Arithmetica

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn (Piano Rock) - Arithmetica

CocoRosie - Noah's Ark (Freak Folk) - Arithmetica

The Bubbles - Daydreaming in Technicolor (Psychedelic Pop rock) - Arithmetica

Ott - Mir (Psychedlic Dubtronica) - Arithmetica

Pretty Lights - Making Up A Changing mind (Electro House) - Arithmetica

The Q4 - Sound Surroundings (Hip-hop) - Arithmetica

Regina Spektor - Songs (Vocal) - Arithmetica

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Alternative) - Arithmetica

The Blood Brothers - BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN (Post-hardcore) - Arithmetica

lolwut

The Kiddie - Brave New World (Pop Rock) - Arithmetica

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (Psychedelic Rock) - Arithmetica

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn (Piano Rock) - Arithmetica

CocoRosie - Noah's Ark (Freak Folk) - Arithmetica

The Bubbles - Daydreaming in Technicolor (Psychedelic Pop rock) - Arithmetica

Ott - Mir (Psychedlic Dubtronica) - Arithmetica

Pretty Lights - Making Up A Changing mind (Electro House) - Arithmetica

The Q4 - Sound Surroundings (Hip-hop) - Arithmetica

Regina Spektor - Songs (Vocal) - Arithmetica

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Alternative) - Arithmetica

lolwut

Judging from the Kiddie, The Bubbles, and Blood Brothers, this sounds like Maiku!

Nick & Simon - Vandaag (Palingsound)

VOLENDAM INVASION ON MH AS WELL?!! Oh God...Anyway I'll add some stuff as well

The Jesus Lizard - Goat (Post-hardcore/Noise rock)

Since I've liked Duane Denison's work on Tomahawk, I've had to check JL of course (for the sake of broadening my horizons in terms of taste), and wow - there are more reasons to be found for the claim that old post-hardcore was much more edgier...and rawer than all your Billy Talents these days. I might come up as an ass but if you want to try post-hardcore (with a tinge of noise rock...this is just me, hey), check this album out.

Vocalist is great, guitar's spectacular, drumwork is admirable...it gets you easily =) (check "Monkey Trick" or "Lady Shoes" if you don't believe me)

First JL album I listened to and one of the few first albums I bought and kept in my grandparents' house (did I ever have a good music taste? It's the question of the century :banjo: )

The Jesus Lizard - Goat (Post-hardcore/Noise rock)

Since I've liked Duane Denison's work on Tomahawk, I've had to check JL of course (for the sake of broadening my horizons in terms of taste), and wow - there are more reasons to be found for the claim that old post-hardcore was much more edgier...and rawer than all your Billy Talents these days. I might come up as an ass but if you want to try post-hardcore (with a tinge of noise rock...this is just me, hey), check this album out.

Vocalist is great, guitar's spectacular, drumwork is admirable...it gets you easily =) (check "Monkey Trick" or "Lady Shoes" if you don't believe me)

First JL album I listened to and one of the few first albums I bought and kept in my grandparents' house (did I ever have a good music taste? It's the question of the century :banjo: )

Amazing band. It's weird to think that post-hardcore wasn't a joke once.

I'm going to suggest a few things on the usual end of my spectrum, so let's see what happens :P

Protest The Hero - Scurrilous (Progressive Metal)

I cannot say anything bad about them except for the possibility of their lyrics being a tad forced at times, and considering the flair with which they perform the songs themselves, I'm not sure even that is a bad thing. Bloody excellent performers with a math-y flair for taste.

I interviewed them once a few years back and they're a bunch of special guys... Loved every second of it. It's strange to think I'm nearly as old as they are though, and that they've been around for such a long time. I usually don't like their type of music, but I can't help but like them :s

Hands Like Houses - Ground Dweller (electronicore/Post-Hardcore)

Most melodic of the genre and sophisticated musical style with excellent production. Since Hands Like Houses is a new band, this is the only album they released so far and it's an amazing debut.

Trust Company - Dreaming In Black And White (Alternative Metal/Rock)

Very catchy chorus on nearly every song, A grade song writing, and stunning surround vocals that enhances the music with an already great production.

I dunno man, "post-hardcore" is just too large of a genre, and the Blood Brothers isn't even one of the early post-hardcore bands (the "early" ones would be like 90s emo). I mean Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary would also count as post-hardcore, and it's totally different from the Blood Brothers plus it was almost a decade earlier. Burn Piano Island Burn is also too closely related to (mathy) metal to be called "representative" (but I'm not saying it's bad, I grew up listening to that shit! :D)

I'm a bit late to the show, but I just wanted to post here, and these are't necessary the albums I consider the best in each genre, but they are what I consider the most representative for their genre:

Black metal: Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Thrash metal: Slayer - Show No Mercy

Grindcore: Repulsion - Horrified

Doom metal: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Death metal: Death - Leprosy

Post-metal: Neurosis - Souls at Zero

Screamo: Neil Perry - Lineage Situation

Death rock: Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain

Hardcore: Black Flag - Damaged

Grunge: Nirvana - Bleach

Post-hardcore: Fugazi - Repeater

Progressive rock: King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Neofolk: Current 93 – Thunder Perfect Mind

Necroing is fun! Anyways, just wanted to note that I cringed a bit at my previous choices (except for Placebo and JL - those can stay there). Oh, and of course - necessary pick of mine:

Shibuya kei/indie: Cornelius - Fantasma (1997)

Allow me to say this: it is almost impossible to define the exact "representative album" of Shibuya-kei scene...like what exactly is "the perfect representation" of Shibuya kei to begin with?

Neojaponisme sorta summed it up quite well without resorting to one-sided, phony takes by wiki and RYM (and alike):

"...But before we can understand the Shibuya-kei nostalgia in the early 21st century, we have to ask, what exactly was Shibuya-kei and why was it so important? Sonically, the artists included in the genre did not share a specific style, but more of a guiding philosophy. They took sonic cues from California ’60s soft rock and psych pop, French Ye-Ye, Chicago house, East Coast hip-hop sampling, krautrock, Scottish anorak pop, Madchester club beats, Brazilian bossa nova, Italian film soundtracks and any other internationalist, retro-futurist genres. The central idea was to not sound like an imitation of Billboard-charting pop nor be rebelliously “underground” in its classic confrontational mode — but to occupy a chic space in the wider consumer culture similar to their favorite tastemakers overseas. Shibuya-kei was often called “Japanese yogaku” — Western music created by Japanese artists. The music itself, however, was often less important than the total aesthetic impact."

By that sense, I wanted to bring up at least one album what could tie various sides of this movement together in some kind of way - you have one side with 60s Warhol/Hefner-ian utopia embellished with Ye-ye & bossa trickeries (Pizzicato Five, Fantastic Plastic Machine), the other side with penchant for Europhilic approaches (Kahimi Karie for retro-Francophiles, Flipper's Guitar for retro-Anglophiles) and various acts that were more or less interested in churning out something akin to trending club music from the States (ex-Deee-lite member Towa Tei, Cibo Matto etc.). 

In this case, ex-Flipper's Guitar frontman Cornelius managed to form a decent "in a nutshell"-kind of compilation of what this movement holds in at first glance. The intriguing smorgasbord of Beach Boys-ian vocal harmonies, mid-era Beatles-ian walls of sound, Supercar-ian indie rock, Bossa/Ye-ye-an rhythms and small frills, moderate Beck-ian genre-hopping folk, out-of-nowhere breakbeat silliness, intricate sampling from various "retroish" sources, adderall-ian experimentalism in the vein of early Pink Floyd...you might as well say that such mix was certainly ahead of its time back in the day (seeing as most might bring up Arcade Fire or similar acts to challenge this "combo-wombo indietronica"). Do not let my genreistic descriptions fool you - if you are at least a bit of totes open, avid music listener, give this album a listen! I am pretty sure that "Fantasma"'s powerful, ever-changing soundscape won't fool you...and might as well get you hooked into the whole Shibuya hassle ;)

Sample:

the whole album! None of the songs alone could describe the general feel!

Nu metal : limp bizkit (significant other)

Alt rock, metal : Linkin park (Minutes to midnight)

Grunge rock : Live (V)

Post Rock : Pelican (our throats will beckon the thaw)

Prog : David bowie