Zeus

Best/Most Representative album of any genre?

I put the word out on Facebook but I doubt I'm going to get any good responses there because music and my friends just don't work that way. I'll probably get a more successful response here.

With that said, I'm out on a mission to collect the best/most representative album ever from each genre of music so I can listen to them all. I don't care what country it comes from either, which is why it goes here. This is primarily for me but I also suppose it will work for anyone else that wants to give it a shot, so bring it on!

tl;dr - name an album from each genre of music that fits and put a short description as to why it is.

GO HERE TO SEE WHAT I'M DOING WITH THE LIST!

Tristania - Beyond the Veil (Gothic Metal) - Zesshoku

MONO - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (Post-Rock) - Zesshoku

The Beatles - REVOLVER (Psychedelic Rock) - Chianti

Blondie - Parallel Lines (New Wave) - Chianti

Person Pitch - Panda Bear (Dream Pop, Post Rock) - Chianti

Mezzanine - Massive Attack (Trip Hop) - Chianti

Music For The Jilted Generation - The Prodigy (Big Beat, Electro Industrial, Hardcore Techno, Jungle) - Chianti

Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side (Melodic Death Metal) - Champ213

Suede - Dog Man Star (Britpop) - Champ213

Tenhi - Maaät (Neofolk) - Champ213

Misfits - Walk Among Us (Horror Punk) - Jigsaw9

Cinema Strange - The Astonished Eyes of Evening (Batcave/Death Rock) - Jigsaw9

System of a Down - Toxicity (Nu Metal) - Jigsaw9

Down - II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow (Stoner/Southern Metal) - Jigsaw9

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines (Technical Death Metal) - Jigsaw9

Tom Waits - Bone Machine (Blues Rock) - Jigsaw9

Der Eisenrost - Armored Weapon (Industrial) - Jigsaw9

Nirvana - Nevermind (Grunge) - Neon

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (Post-Punk) - Jigsaw9

Ramones - Ramones (Punk Rock) - Jigsaw9

Slayer - God Hates Us All (Thrash Metal) - Jigsaw9

Marduk - Plague Angel (Black Metal) - Jigsaw9

Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album (Bossa Nova) - fitear1590

Russian Circles - Geneva (Post-Metal) - bonsaijodelfisch

Boris - Heavy Rocks (2002) (Stoner/Sludge Metal) - bonsaijodelfisch

Justice - † (Electro) - bonsaijodelfisch

Jimi Hendrix- are you experienced (electric blues/psychedelic blues) - bonsaijodelfisch

led zeppelin - led zeppelin 1 (hard rock) - bonsaijodelfisch

queen - a night at the opera (Glam Rock) - bonsaijodelfisch

sick of it all - blood, sweat & no tears (new york hardcore) - bonsaijodelfisch

Nick & Simon - Vandaag (Palingsound) - Cupcakes

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (Britpop) - lukrecia

Autechre - Incunabula / Amber (IDM) - lukrecia

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - A Winged Victory For The Sullen (Modern Classical) - lukrecia

Merzbow - Music For A Bondage Performance (Noise) - lukrecia

Robert Hood - Minimal Nation (Minimal Techno) - lukrecia

Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka (Extreme Death Metal) - lukrecia

Benga - Newstep / Diary Of An Afro Warrior (Dubstep) - lukrecia

J Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental Hip-hop) - lukrecia

Blur - Parklife (Britpop) - lukrecia

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (rock) - Pretsy

Placebo - Placebo (britpop/alternative rock) - Pretsy

My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love (Post-hardcore) - Pretsy

Alice in Chains - Dirt (grunge) - Pretsy

Faith No More - Angel Dust (experimental rock) - Pretsy

Korn - Korn (nu-metal) - Pretsy

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (experimental metal) - Pretsy

Luna Sea - MOTHER (90's VK) - Pretsy

Wintersun - Wintersun (melodic death metal) - Arithmetica

Death - Symbolic (death metal) - Arithmetica

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten (death metal) - lukrecia

The Kiddie - Brave New World (Pop Rock) - Arithmetica

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (Psychedelic Rock) - Arithmetica

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn (Piano Rock) - Arithmetica

CocoRosie - Noah's Ark (Freak Folk) - Arithmetica

The Bubbles - Daydreaming in Technicolor (Psychedelic Pop rock) - Arithmetica

Ott - Mir (Psychedlic Dubtronica) - Arithmetica

Pretty Lights - Making Up A Changing mind (Electro House) - Arithmetica

The Q4 - Sound Surroundings (Hip-hop) - Arithmetica

Regina Spektor - Songs (Vocal) - Arithmetica

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Alternative) - Arithmetica

The Blood Brothers - BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN (Post-hardcore) - Arithmetica

i posted this on you fb, but hell i re-typed it and may added some more later :

REVOLVER by The Beatles, (Psychedelic Rock)

Parallel Lines by Blondie, (New Wave)

Person Pitch by Panda Bear (Dream Pop, Post Rock)

Mezzanine by Massive Attack (Trip Hop)

Music For The Jilted Generation by The Prodigy (Big Beat, Electro Industrial, Hardcore Techno, Jungle)

All reasons why i picked these albums are because

this albums were released when they were at the peak of their career

or the album that brought them to a greater degree of fame.

Had so many accolades from many music critics and the likes.

Quality albums that will have the legacy goes on forever.

The most definitive album that they've ever done.

Although nay sayers will called it as the time they became sold out.

I'm not good with genres. At all. But I'll give it a try. So here are some of my highly subjective choices:

Band: Amon Amarth

Album: With Oden On Our Side

Genre: Viking Metal? If you count that as a genre (the band themselves don't like that label). But it works as well for Melodic Death Metal.

Why: Because there isn't one weak song on this album. And it's not easy to make heavy songs that are also "catchy", and these songs all are ridicilously catchy.

Band: Suede

Album: Dog Man Star

Genre: Britpop

Why: Because they're more diverse than Oasis. Dark yet catchy, romantic, a bit angsty and very brilliant.

Band: Tenhi

Album: Maaät

Genre: Neofolk

Why: Because they sound like the embodiment of a dark, dark, dark, dark winter, more than any grim frostbitten black metulz band ever could.

On that note, I think "best" doesn't necessarily equal "most represantative". You said "representative" in the headline, but "best" in the description. My choices are more about what I consider "best" rather than representative, save maybe the Amon Amarth pick, which would work with both.

Are you looking for our personal opinions or just albums that are generally revered as classics in a certain genre? If it's the latter, I'm not sure I'll be of much help. ^^;;

I'd like to contribute to the list too! :) (this will be strongly subjective)

Misfits - Walk Among Us (Horror Punk)

Cinema Strange - The Astonished Eyes of Evening (Batcave/Death Rock)

System of a Down - Toxicity (Nu Metal maybe?)

Down - II: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow (Stoner/Southern Metal)

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines (Technical Death Metal, with a bit on an exotic flair)

Tom Waits - Bone Machine (don't know how to categorize this... Bluesy Alternative Singer-Songwriter? xD)

Der Eisenrost - Armored Weapon (Industrial)

...not much reason, these are just fave albums of mine. :lol:

Are you looking for our personal opinions or just albums that are generally revered as classics in a certain genre? If it's the latter, I'm not sure I'll be of much help. ^^;;

Let's be controversial and go with opinions!

I remembered some more great ones (if it's not too much from me already :lol:):

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (Post-Punk)

- an innovative-at-the-time album with a heavy atmosphere

Ramones - Ramones (Punk Rock)

- one of the first punk records that started it all: fast, short and catchy!

Slayer - God Hates Us All (Thrash Metal)

- my personal favorite Slayer album, pure aggressivity with a beefy sound

Marduk - Plague Angel (Black Metal)

- was hard to choose, but the overall atmosphere and sound here is just crushing

All added.

Also adding one more rule - if someone comes up with a second album that they believe fits in a genre already taken, you better be prepared to bring a reason as to why you think your choice is better ;D

ie. one album per genre only.

I can hardly "decide" what my favorite bands are when people ask me, let alone albums.

That said, no other bossa nova album so far has given me the same joy/pleasure as Astrud Gilberto's debut album (cleverly named "The Astrud Gilberto Album").

as i've seen both of them recently and they are pretty known and representative for "their" genre (although that may vary from album to album/track to track)

russian circles - geneva / post-metal

boris - heavy rocks (2003) / stoner hardrock/sludge

edit:

also some sort of obvious but boring choices...

justice - † / distorted elektro (this one started the worldwide hype i guess)

jimi hendrix - are you experienced / electric blues/psychedelic blues (can't have any music-overview without this one, invention of guitar-driven music as a whole)

led zeppelin - led zeppelin 1 / hard rock (well, this. communication breakdown might even be counted as an early thrash-metal predecessor with a little imagination...)

queen - a night at the opera / glamrock (either this or something of kiss, but this has bohemian rhapsodie on it :D)

sick of it all - blood, sweat & no tears / new york hardcore (actually don't really know them well, just the first name that springs to mind when talking about nyhc)

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (Britpop)

Autechre - Incunabula / Amber (IDM)

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - A Winged Victory For The Sullen (Modern Classical)

Merzbow - Music For A Bondage Performance (Noise)

Robert Hood - Minimal Nation (Minimal Techno)

Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka (Extreme Death Metal)

Benga - Newstep / Diary Of An Afro Warrior (Dubstep)

J Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental Hip-hop)

Blur - Parklife (Britpop)

It was hard sometimes to decide, if I should choose the first albums of the genre, or those, which I think that shows how great the genre can get. AWVFTS for example, falls into the second category - altough I'm not really familiar with any 'classical' musicians, I try to keep up with some modern classical musicians - like Ólafur Arnalds, Jóhann Jóhannson (it was hard to decide between his album "Fordlândia" and between AWVFTS's debut album) or Max Richter (his albums are also great!) - and A Winged...'s album, imho, how beautiful and great modern classical music can get. If you listen to it, you will notice, that it's more puritan than many of the listed musician's albums and it doesn't want to be 'experimental'. Just symphonic instrumentation, ambient and you can see Stars Of The Lid in the background (one of the members, Adam Wiltzie is the member of SOTL). Beautiful.

When it comes to noise, I guess I will be alone (?) with my opinion, that Merzbow had some good albums. Yes, he releases shitload of albums a year, and most of them contains nothing really new or outstanding, but it would be a bad idea to forget that he had released some 'classic' albums - for example Music For Bondage Performance. If Merzbow is the godfather of noise, this album can be labelled, imho, as the godfather of noise albums. Not as harsh as you would expect it from Akita, 'ambient soundtrack to a suspense film with slightly less in the way of melody'. No beats, melodies or others, but it still has something, that makes me return to this album again and again. Maybe that I think of it as one of THE Merzbow albums, not just another one, the xyth in this year. You might not believe me, but I say, there is a certain form of beauty hidden in this record. If you are new to noise, this is the perfect album to start your journey.

In 2011, we can say for sure, that the old britpop battle between the Gallagher twins and Damon Albarn ended with Albarn's victory. While Oasis spent years with arguing, saying stupid things in their interviews and being an arrogant asshole, Albarn always found a new style, way or a band (think about Blur, Gorillaz, The Good, The Bad And The Queen, and so on). Noel said in an interview, that after 1996, they mostly released albums just to have the material enough for a tour, - but before 1996, they released two great albums, and the second one holds a special place in my heart. I guess everyone will say 'Wonderwall! Wonderwall!', but apart from that song, the album still has some awesome songs lined up - 'Cast No Shadow', which was dedicated to Richard Ashcroft (The Verve), 'Don't Look Back In Anger', 'Champagne Supernova', and so on. It shows you, what was clear from the beginning - from the The Beatles influence to the fact, that they were awesome songwritters (and they had some quite good lyrics too!).

Robert Hood, and his label, Underground Resistance - a legend. Hood's idea about 'minimal techno' is far from today's idea: Hood played a less melodic, more brutal, consisting mostly of drums, basslines and funky grooves. Yeah, much minimal. And not as well-known as Hood's other albums, like 'Internal Empire', but I think, this is the best demonstration of Hood's ideas and imaginations.

I think I will get back later with more albums / descriptions, nice idea Zess! :staru:

a simple start:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (rock)

Legendary album that shaped rock music into the genre that we know, like and play nowadays. Has also the essential rock hits like Black Dog for instance. Page's guitars shine here alot too, and bass gets some attention. But let's not forget the drums, too :)

Placebo - Placebo (britpop/alternative rock)

Feel the power of Molko's wacky vocals, strong bass and punky beats! Lots of variety, hardcore stuff, deep lyrics...I kinda like the fact that they combined various genres in this.

My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love (Post-hardcore)

I would have picked Three Cheers but hey, this has same upsides (even more than TCfSR) like Placebo's s/t

Alice in Chains - Dirt (grunge)

Better than Nevermind, why? This one is more varied than Nirvana's early stuff + Layne's vocals are better suited for grunge...than Kurt, whose vocals are more reminiscent of post-punk.

Faith No More - Angel Dust (experimental rock)

Classic (and legendary) album by the most talented gentlemen in experimental / art scene, hmm. It's one hell of a trip, both with light and dark sides.

Korn - Korn (nu-metal)

I would have picked Deftones but Korn's s/t is pretty much exciting imo with all it's creepiness...and Silveria's awesome drums. The last song sums up all the elements needed in one perfect nu-metal song...it's gotta make you shit bricks.

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (experimental metal)

Have you ever wanted to experience a meth trip without meth? Try this. Some people might think otherwise, but play that album cd and just sit down, and listen. You will be entranced with all that stuff.

and finally, a last piece of cake *drum roll* *watch out for spoilers* (ps. Zess, I will post this avec spoiler since it might cause some commotion here....)

LUNA SEA - MOTHER (old school vk rock from 90's)

This, is the median of 90s vk rock imho. Why? Variety and atmosphere are the keywords - this is basically the "Led Zeppelin IV of Visual Kei" - the soothing synth/guitar intro of LOVELESS, that leads you all the way with a serious mind-blow into the epic ending called "MOTHER" - it's also necessary to note that each song here might possibly represent the style of bands that you like (for instance, "AURORA" has possibly influenced Janne Da Arc in later phase - or "ROSIER" that influenced Nightmare - alot *cough*)

Alice in Chains - Dirt (grunge)

Better than Nevermind, why? This one is more varied than Nirvana's early stuff + Layne's vocals are better suited for grunge...than Kurt, whose vocals are more reminiscent of post-punk.

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (experimental metal)

Have you ever wanted to experience a meth trip without meth? Try this. Some people might think otherwise, but play that album cd and just sit down, and listen. You will be entranced with all that stuff.

Totally seconding these! :) (and also the spoiler-hidden one ;))

Alright so I'm going to take a few more and then I'm going to move on and start listening to these one week at a time. I'll work out a place to post my thoughts to them so everyone that recommended something gets to hear what I think about it. If anyone else wants to join me that'd be awesome but it's not necessary.

Copying Champ's format.

Band: Wintersun

Album: Wintersun

Genre: Going with Last.fm tags, melodic death metal ~ folk metal

Why: This album is brilliant and can be played again and again. It's well paced, every track is solid and diverse.

However, I don't really know what genres to place this in, I don't really consider Wintersun Folk Metal but also I wouldn't be so quick to call them Melo Death Metal either. If they're going to have to compete with Amon Amarth, while I agree that With Oden On Our Side is a fucking solid album and probably their best that they have done. Their last two albums Twilight of the Thunder God and Surtur Rising just haven't been able to beat it. However according to science (I did the science on it) I think Wintersun's debut blows away With Oden On Our Side.

Band: Death

Album: Symbolic

Genre: I would call them Progressive Death Metal but the style of the band changed gradually between releases like most bands, however towards the end they felt more Progressive than anything else. Also tagged as just Death Metal, Progressive Metal and Technical Death Metal.

Why: Death is widely considered one of the most influential bands in the genre but I think the album is absolute perfection and stands out from anything else they had release.

The Kiddie - Brave New World (Genki Japanese Pop rock of LOVE)

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation (Psychedelic Rock)

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn (Piano Rock)

CocoRosie - Noah's Ark (Freak Folk)

The Bubbles - Daydreaming in Technicolor (Psychedelic Pop rock) [look for it on band camp you can pay whatever you want. Even nothing.]

Ott - Mir (Psychedlic Dubtronica)

Pretty Lights - Making Up A Changing mind (Electro House)

The Q4 - Sound Surroundings (Hip-hop)

Regina Spektor - Songs (Vocal)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Alternative)

The Blood Brothers - BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN (Post-hardcore)

Alright! I think I've got enough to start listening to these one by one and seeing what I like and what I don't! I'll probably start sharing my thoughts soon. Going from the top down as well, so it might be a while until I get to some of the more recently recommended albums.